Hooked - Liz Fichera This review is also featured on my blog ILoveTeenBooks.

2.5 stars

This is a story about Fred, a Native American girl golfer who joins her all boy’s Varsity high school golf team. She gets Seth’s place on the team and he is not happy about that. His best friend, Ryan accepts the fact Seth won’t be joining him again really fast. But Seth can’t let it go even though he is not very good at golf. So he starts to bully Fred at every chance he gets.

What I liked about this story that it’s about sports-golf, to be exact. I don’t know anything about golf so it was refreshing to actually learn something reading YA novels. I thought golf was only for white, bored rich people but I couldn’t be more wrong. Apparently, even girls can play it. Crazy, I know. :P

When I first saw this book on GoodReads I thought Wow, I gotta have this. But when I started reading it it wasn’t what I thought it would be. That is probably my problem, for thinking Fred would stand up for herself when people called her Pocahontas and dirty Indian. I just hate watching people get bullied because I used to be bullied too. But the difference between Fred and me is that I fought back and eventually the scum who tormented me backed away after they saw I wouldn’t put up with their shit.

Also,at times it got a lot of dramatic. All sorts of bad things kept happening to the MC and it went too far. IMO.

When it comes to the romance I was also disappointed and that disappointment is connect with the way I thought Fred would be as a character. Ryan isn’t perfect either but he did man up a couple of times and I respect that. It would be better if we got more of Fred and Ryan scenes where they would talk and get to know each other better but those scenes kind of faded into black.

In conclusion, I liked this book enough to read the second book, Played when it comes out. The main characters in this book will be Fred’s friend Sam and Ryan’s sister Riley.